More and more students are looking at postgraduate degree programs as a way to further their careers. But what about pursuing a PGDM—otherwise known as a Post Graduate Diploma Management in Chennai—instead of a traditional MBA? In this article, we’ll look at the benefits and opportunities that come with undertaking a PGDM qualification, and why it may be the perfect choice for you.
What is the PGDM?
The PGDM or Post Graduate Diploma in Management is a two-year full-time diploma program offered by management colleges in India which is equivalent to an MBA degree. The main difference between a PGDM and an MBA is that a PGDM is more flexible and caters to the diverse needs of working professionals.
Some of the benefits of pursuing a PGDM over an MBA are:
- PGDM provides students with the opportunity to specialize in their area of interest.
- PGDM is more flexible than an MBA and can be pursued part-time or full-time at the student’s convenience.
- PGDM curriculum places more emphasis on practical learning as opposed to theoretical concepts making it more relevant for working professionals.
- The average salary package offered to graduates of PGDM programs is higher than that of MBA programs due to the increased demand for specialized skills in the industry.
Benefits of PGDM:
There are many benefits of completing a PGDM instead of an MBA. Here are some key benefits:
- A PGDM will provide you with deeper and more specialized knowledge in your chosen field than an MBA. This can lead to better career opportunities and prospects.
- A PGDM is typically shorter in duration than an MBA, meaning you can get started on your career sooner.
- The cost of completing a PGDM is often lower than an MBA, making it a more affordable option for many students.
- A PGDM gives you the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships and projects, which can be beneficial in your future career.
Pursuing an MBA after PGDM:
Why opt for an MBA after a PGDM course?
There are numerous reasons why candidates opt for an MBA after a PGDM course. An MBA degree increases job opportunities and offers more career growth potential. Additionally, it ensures better salaries and designations. Here are some of the advantages of pursuing an MBA in regular colleges in Chennai after completing a PGDM:
- Better Job Opportunities: An MBA degree holder is preferred over a PGDM holder for top managerial positions in leading organizations. With an MBA degree, you will have access to better job opportunities and can pursue the career of your choice.
- Improved Career Growth Potential: Pursuing an MBA in a regular college in Chennai after completing a PGDM course will give you an edge over other candidates in terms of career growth potential. An MBA degree will help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge to progress in your chosen career path.
- Higher Salaries and Designations: On average, MBA graduates earn higher salaries than those with just a PGDM degree. They also tend to get promoted faster and attain senior-level positions in their organization.
Opportunity to work before joining a top management institute:
An MBA and a PGDM are both great postgraduate degree options for students looking to enter the world of business. However, some key differences between the two programs could make a PGDM a more attractive option for some students. One key difference is that while an MBA may require students to have several years of work experience before applying, a PGDM does not have this same requirement. This means that students who wish to pursue a PGDM can do so straight after completing their undergraduate studies.
A PGDM also offers scholarships to Tamilnadu students the opportunity to gain real-world work experience before joining a top management institute. This can be beneficial as it allows students to get a taste of what working in business is like and can help them to stand out when applying for jobs after graduation. Additionally, working before starting a PGDM can give students the chance to earn some money to help fund their studies.
There are many PGDM programs that offer a high salary and excellent job prospects. The most recent data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that the average salary for a business manager with a PGDM is $85,000 per year. This is significantly higher than the average salary for an MBA holder, which is $75,000 per year.
In addition to earning a higher salary, PGDM holders also have better job prospects than MBA holders. The vast majority of employers prefer to hire candidates with a PGDM over those with an MBA. This is because the skills and knowledge students gain during their PGDM studies are more relevant to the real world of business than those gained during an MBA program.
So if you’re looking to pursue a career in business management, you should strongly consider pursuing a PGDM instead of an MBA. You’ll be rewarded with a higher salary and better job prospects.